Thursday 25 August 2011


Recipe for a rainy day.

So it's raining and chilly and I had some time on my hands and I thought what could be better on a gray day then a bit of baking time in the kitchen? Here's what happened...I just made the easiest and tastiest Spelt and Seed Bread EVER, the perfect accompaniment for some hearty home made carrot soup. I want to share the recipe with you....

Did I mention EASY... this bread requires NO kneading and NO rising time *WOOT!*

I found the recipe online from The Telegraph.  I halved the amounts as I don't eat much bread and I think it tastes much better when it's warm and fresh anyway; plus with a recipe this quick and simple I can whip up another loaf in no time.

"Mixing up a yeast dough and then baking it without giving it time to rise (let alone kneading it) is counter-intuitive, but it works. Baker Andrew Whitley says that if you let it rise slowly, in a cool place overnight, it will be even better."
  • 1lb 2oz/500g organic spelt flour
  • 2 sachets/10g fast-acting dried yeast
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • 2oz/50g sunflower seeds
  • 2oz/50g sesame seeds
  • 2oz/50g linseeds
  • 17floz/500ml warm water
Heat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6.
Combine all the ingredients, adding the water last. Mix well and turn the dough into a greased loaf tin.
Put straight into the oven and bake for an hour.
Remove the loaf, turn it out of the tin and then return it to the oven without the tin for a further 5-10 minutes.

Voila! Absolute simplicity. 

By Kate Lenhart
Kate offers Nutritional Therapy and various other therapies at Waterloo Body Station on Friday's & Saturday's, please contact Kate for more information.   

No comments:

Post a Comment